Our guest bathroom is a cute little room- but without a window, is only illuminated by artificial light. As a result- and I’m not sure why I never noticed this before- our existing shower curtain was doing nothing to brighten the room.
While pretty, it just started to bother me. We’ve had it for years! But all of a sudden, I wanted a change and I wanted something lighter and brighter in the room. This post contains affiliate links for your crafting convenience.
And instead of running out to Target or Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I went to my garage…where my bins of vintage bed sheets are stored.
I selected a couple of options and draped them over the rod. Jon and I hemmed and hawed for days, changing our minds and going back again.
In the end, we chose sheet “A” and I set out to transform it into a shower curtain.
And I’ll be honest, I took the easiest route- I used the old one as a template before laundering it and giving it away.
From Sheet to Shower Curtain
I laid out our chosen sheet on the floor, good size facing up- and it was a struggle to find an open space large enough for this queen sheet! Full/Double size would have been a little easier to manage. Then, I placed the existing shower curtain on top of the sheet. Of course, this seemed like a game for the kitties.
I used the top of the sheet as the would-be top of my shower curtain and safety pinned the existing curtain to the sheet. Then I simply trimmed down the side and across the bottom of the sheet- leaving enough of a margin to incorporate a ¼ – ½” double-fold hem on the side and a 1” double-fold hem across the bottom.
I then simply folded the hems and stitched them on my sewing machine.
Then. Came. The. Scary. Part. At least for me… buttonholes.
I could have used grommets…but I needed to face the challenge of buttonholes. So I practiced on scraps of the sheet that remained after I trimmed it.
When I felt quasi-comfortable with making them, I set out to mark my sheet where each buttonhole would go. And again, I used the old shower curtain as my guide:
- End buttonholes were ¾” in from the edge;
- Buttonholes started ⅝” from the top edge;
- Buttonholes were ¾” long; and
- Buttonholes were spaced 5 ½” apart.
Whew. A lot to measure, a lot to keep straight. But using those measurements, I took a fabric pencil and drew buttonhole lines all along the top of my sheet/shower curtain.
But I did it!!! Maybe not perfectly, but I did it.
After the last buttonhole was split and all threads were snipped, I ironed it and hung it in the bathroom with the plastic liner. Of course, Cottonball sensed “change” and had to assist.
The Big Reveal
But there it is, in all it’s pretty glory. I seriously LOVE it and even Jon does, too- I was afraid it would be too “girly” but he’s just so astounded by how much brighter the room is that the flowers didn’t even register.
Now, if only our master bathroom wasn’t a walk-in shower, I’d probably make another one right away. Especially since I’ve mastered (or, “mediocre’d”) the buttonhole.