Ready for my latest contribution to The Good Life Blog, the official blog of Goodwill Industries of Upstate/Midlands South Carolina? For this month’s project, I decided to focus on an old (but sturdy-framed) footstool that caught my eye in the furniture section.
It was short, squat, and sturdy- just like me! So I felt an immediate kinship to it, ha-ha. Even though its woven rush seat was unraveling and falling out in clumps, the rest of it was perfectly fine, if not a little scuffed up. Since it was heavy and had good bones, I just needed to refurbish it a little. This post contains affiliate links for your crafting convenience.
And the first step of refurbishing? Remove the old rush “seat”- some pieces could be broken off by hand, but others needed a little help.
When all the rush was removed from the footstool, though, I was left with a perfectly good base…I just needed to find the right way to top it.
Before I get to the new top, though, I decided to give it a makeover that would coordinate with our bedroom furniture- remember our dressers that inspired the project that ultimately inspired my blog?
Mr. Seasonoods took off a sliver from each leg/post- creating a flat and universally even surface. Then, I gave it an off-white chalk paint makeover.
After four light coats of paint, it was time to bring the new top into the picture. Enter…an old cutting board from my stash of thrift store boards. You KNOW I can’t pass up a good cutting board while thrifting! And this one just needed to be sanded down before I played with it.
See how awesome it works on top, though? It’s nearly a perfect fit- it hangs off each edge just enough to make it look like it was custom made. But it’s been sitting in my garage for nearly a year!
In order to coordinate with our bedroom furniture, I needed to stain it…with a stain dark enough to contrast the base, but not dark enough to lose the wood grain. Thankfully, I had a most excellent can of stain in our paint locker that worked swimmingly.
Isn’t that a gorgeous color!! I lightly distressed the chalk-painted footstool base and then gave it and my cutting board top a buffing of clear wax until each one was buttery smooth. To attach the board to the stool, I simply used wood glue. BUT- if I was using it as a load-bearing piece (like a child’s seat or stool), I would have drilled holes though the board corners and attached it to the stool with glue AND long screws.
After sitting overnight with heavy books on top to weigh down the board, I ended up with a stunningly gorgeous new piece for our bedroom that is perfectly coordinated!
I’ll probably use it to hold a stack of magazines or books…but I’m just so thrilled at how it turned out…from a couple of thrift store misfits to this!