As a December 26th baby, I feel a special connection to Christmas- even if a birthday at this time of year is pretty underwhelming. Coupled with my love of repurposing and upcycling, it should come as no surprise to anyone that combining the two- Repurpose/Christmas- is something I look forward to each year. And while I haven’t done that many of them, repurposed ornaments are an exceptional favorite. I’ve made DIY snowball ornaments from thrifted glass balls…pretty painted “icicles” from vintage spindles…wreaths from mason jar lids…and this year’s favorite, tea strainer / chandelier crystal ornaments.
But there are SO MANY amazing ideas out there…so if you’re looking for some festive DIY inspiration, then start scrolling down…
- How about some salvaged watch or clock face Christmas characters??
2. A tale of two opposites- hinges and jewelry– make for an intriguing (and awesome) ornament…
3. Ok- so bottle brush trees in thimbles (and shaker tops) are as cute as it gets!
4. I already have a collection of small vintage doilies to make a garland!
5. A beat-up children’s Christmas book can be salvaged into ornaments- I think I may have had this exact one, too!
6. I never would have thought of repurposing old skeleton keys into a snowflake, but it totally works.
7. I’ve loved these vintage button card ornaments since I first saw them- she has so many variations and I adore them all!
8. If only I had an endless supply of broken spindles and furniture pieces…
9. These little salt shaker ornaments have a touch of bling and a LOT of cuteness.
10. Gah! I’ve gone through quite a few spools of ribbon in my years…when all the while I could have repurposed them into Christmas diorama ornaments!
11. Vintage shuttlecocks for badminton…the kind with feathers…make for adorable angel ornaments, don’t they?
12. Spray can tops- like for spray paint- repurposed as Christmas drums is genius!
13. Can’t forget about repurposing old sweaters in embroidery hoops- simply and festive.
14. How amazing is this! An angel crafted from repurposed rhinestone jewelry, on a perfectly chippy piece of salvaged wood.
15. I LOVE the idea of repurposing old Christmas cards (or even not-so-old ones) into little trees to hang on your big tree!
16. Oh my goodness…think of all the tiny scenes you could put in a vintage jell-o mold…
17. Vintage wooden spools are full of possibility…including charming little ornaments.
18. This one looks easy to do with kids- repurposed puzzle piece snowflakes!
19. I have the perfect vintage cutter quilt to make my own trees…
20. A snowy scene on a vintage spoon would be cute hanging on a tree!
I don’t know if I can pick a favorite, but there are definitely a few contenders. Which one is your fave?? And will you be repurposing anything to hang on your tree this year?